« Home | Drumochter » | Pete and his Chopper » | Split screen - a hardcore VW » | 1/4000 of a second » | Home....................................... » | Schools out - for ever » | A certain absence of stock » | An Orange Kyle » | Ben Loyal » | Across the road »

Neil Munro's


Neil Munro's, originally uploaded by ccgd.

A window sill in our house, with my collection of early and first editions of Neil Munro's books.

www.neilmunro.co.uk/biog.htm

Neil Munro is/was Hugh Foulis - the author of Para Handy. Not a bad place to start, for gentle west coast humour.

But Munro himself thought that his Foulis persona was for lightweight newspaper stuff, and reserved his serious writing about the Highlands for his own name. My own favs are John Splendid (or the Little wars of Lorne) about Montrose's Highland Campaigns of the 1640's, or the Daft Days, about small town life in the west Highlands at the turn of the last century.

For an Invernessians introduction to Neil Munro (and he was an Argyll man remember) try "The New Road" - a 1750's thriller/whodunit where the main action takes place around Inverness and Beauly..........

And as someone who spent his student years at the Art School in Glasgow I return again and to his book (or collection of newspaper articles) "The Brave Days", a book about the Dear Green Place back in the 1880's and 1890's.

I recognise that windowsill...I'll not share what I occasionally did while reading the titles of those books. ;) Have never read "Doom Castle", but it always made me smile.

Very nice books, I'd like to read those.

Post a Comment