« Home | Leaving Edinburgh » | A view of distant mountains » | Clava in the sun » | Fire and smoke » | Yellow rig » | Night rig » | Embankment station » | It's a big sky country » | Grey lighthouse » | A distant Dounreay »

Brussels layers


Brussels layers, originally uploaded by ccgd.

Just back from a grey and wintry trip to Brussels. Its the first time I've been there for a couple of years, a bit of a contrast to the later part of the 90's when I seemed to be there on a bi-monthly basis.

I was running EU projects at the time.

Brussels in winter has a particular smell, a mixture of dampness, tobacco, traffic, and the metro, all overlain with a faint whiff of woodsmoke, from the Italian restaurants clustered around the EU office complexes.

This snap is from the Square de Luxembourg - layers of posters on the last derelict building, now under renovation. I actually took it on my last trip there in 2007, but I like the textures.