« Home | black gold » | sometimes you just have to look up » | Croft and creels » | Rig and Nigg » | Pete and his Chopper » | Night departure » | I don't think VW will be paying me for this one. » | Hey I made Wired mag » | Ronald at the controls » | And the fisherman home from the sea »

Hms Caroline - Belfast


Hms Caroline - Belfast, originally uploaded by ccgd.

The last survivor of the Battle of Jutland. The Light Cruiser "HMS Caroline" in Belfast Harbour. Built in 1913, she is still a commissioned vessel in the Royal Navy.

I had no idea that there were any WW1 ships left in the UK. I was at a meeting in the Innovation Centre built next to this dock, saw it when the cab dropped me off and luckily had my camera with me. At first I thought she was a V&W Class destroyer (1920's) but then realised she was bigger and older.

This photo has just been used in the "Britain at War" Magazine on an article on the Battle of Jutland.